Everyone wants to put their best face forward. Nowadays, there are many cosmetic treatments available to help Dr. Erwin Bulan’s patients look younger and more attractive. Facelift and Botox are two of the most well-known options, and Dr. Bulan is often asked by patients which is more effective. Having performed thousands of facelift and Botox procedures, Northern New Jersey cosmetic surgeon Dr. Bulan can say that neither is “better” than the other. What’s best for a patient depends on the desired results.
If you are weighing your options, this post is an excellent starting point. Read on for a quick overview of facelift and Botox and a look at the pros and cons of each.
Facelift is a surgical procedure that minimizes visible signs of aging, such as jowls, displaced fat, deep creases and facial folds around the nose and corners of the mouth. During surgery, excess facial skin is removed, the underlying tissues and muscles are lifted, displaced fat is repositioned and the skin is re-draped over the facial structures.
Advantages of facelift:
- Can treat serious and visible signs of aging
- Restores more youthful-looking facial contours
- Long-lasting results
- No repeat or follow-up treatment required
Drawbacks of facelift:
- Requires several weeks of recovery
- Requires anesthesia
- Has post-operative side effects (i.e., bruising, swelling)
- Incisions leave (discreetly placed) scars
Botox is a cosmetic injectable product made from a purified form of botulinum toxin. When injected just underneath the skin, Botox temporarily relaxes targeted facial muscles, and the overlying skin crease or wrinkle softens. Botox is often used to minimize lines and wrinkles around the eyes and between the eyebrows.
Advantages of Botox:
- Treatment is quick and can be performed in a doctor’s office
- No anesthesia required
- No recovery time needed
- Side effects (i.e., bruising, swelling) are usually minimal and can be concealed with makeup
- Less expensive than surgery
Drawbacks of Botox:
- Results are not as dramatic as facelift
- Results are temporary
- Repeat treatment is needed to maintain the effects
- Cannot tighten sagging skin or tissues
- Cost of repeated treatments can add up
Consult with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
As you weigh your cosmetic treatment options, it’s wise to seek out the opinion of a trusted plastic surgeon. Dr. Bulan encourages you to book a consultation with him to discuss your specific goals and find the solution best suited to your needs. Please contact our practice today to make an appointment with Dr. Bulan.